Thursday, December 13, 2012

VFC providers must register with I-CARE

All providers who participate with the Vaccines For Children (VFC) Program must get registered with I-CARE in anticipation of a merger between VFC Illinois and the I-CARE immunization database. The deadline for submitting an I-CARE application is December 31, 2012, for VFC Illinois providers.

The I-CARE registration does not need to be completed prior to December 31, but providers need to have proof they submitted the application. If an I-CARE application has not been submitted by December 31, providers will not be able to order vaccines.

Registration with I-CARE is mandatory for VFC providers as the ordering of VFC vaccines will be strictly online through I-CARE. The VFC Illinois roll out date is expected to be June 2013.

The merger for VFC Chicago providers will roll out once VFC Illinois merger is finalized. VFC Chicago will notify all of its providers with sufficient time to register and train on the I-CARE online odering module.

IHC has a webinar about VFC and I-CARE scheduled for January 23, 2012. Go the IHC webinar page or call the IHC Provider Help Desk at 1-877-912-1999, extension 3 for more information.

I-CARE is a statewide immunization database operated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. I-Care is free and web-based, meaning there is no additional software required. Technical assistance is available at no charge. Registration takes 4-6 weeks to complete.

To request an I-CARE application and get started with registration, send an email to dph.icare@illinois.gov. For additional I-CARE training, complete this survey to be added to the training promotion list.

If you are currently using Electronic Health Records (EHR), you can transfer your immunization records to I-CARE through a secure data exchange. If your EHR vendor can create HL7 immunization messages and can transfer the messages securely, please have your vendor contact Robin Holding at IDPH (robin.holding@illinois.gov).

If your EHR vendor cannot create HL7 messages or cannot transfer them securely, a public health node has been developed to assist your vendor with transferring immunization records to I-CARE. Please contact Mike Jadala at IDPH (mike.jadala@illinois.gov).